By David J. Balistreri, RRC, CDT, BECxP, RCI Liaison to the RICOWI board of directors and Chair of RICOWIThe Roofing Industry Committee on Weather Issues (RICOWI) held its spring conference just prior to the RCI International Convention and Trade Show in Houston, Texas. Nearly 100 people attended educational seminars during the first day of the conference (Thursday, March 22), held at the RCI convention venue. Seminar topics highlighted the recent hurricane activity in Puerto Rico, Florida, and Houston and the varied effects those events had on roof systems. Speakers included:
- Dan Reilly, meteorologist from the National Weather Service out of Houston, Texas
- Laverne Dalgleish, Air Barrier Association of America
- Roof consulting professionals Dave Roodvoets, Phil Mayfield, Phil Dregger, and Robert Boessen
RICOWI reported on its own 2017 Wind Investigation Committee mobilization in Florida. Its formal report is expected to become publicly available on the RICOWI website (www.RICOWI.com) in April 2018.Following the first day of educational seminars, day two started with roundtable discussions during committee meetings. Representatives from allied industry associations, manufacturing, contracting, academia, and testing laboratories contributed to the discussion on a wide variety of roofing-related topics, including but not limited to moisture, green, underlayment, code and best practices.
The afternoon featured the annual general membership meeting, which included officer elections.
The elected 2018-2022 officers include the following:
- Chairman – David Balistreri (RCI)
- Vice-Chairman – Richard Allen – International Staple, Nail, and Tool Association (ISANTA)
- Secretary/Treasurer – Michael Ennis – Single-Ply Roofing Industry (SPRI)
- Director at Large – Scott Kriner – Metal Construction Association (MCA) – one-year term
Lynne Christensen of the Cedar Shake and Shingle Bureau (CSSB) was recognized for her service to RICOWI as she retired from the immediate past chairperson position. Richard Olson of the Tile Roofing Institute (TRI) was also recognized for his service to RICOWI as he assumed the immediate past chair position.
RICOWI also announced its 2018 fall conference will be held in Chicago, IL, on October 3 and 4.
RICOWI’s spring conference is regularly held in conjunction with the RCI International Convention and Trade Show, which is next being held in Orlando, Florida, in March 2019.
Please visit RICOWI’s website for further information.