News by Chapter : Chicago Area Chapter | Ontario Chapter | So Cal Chapter
CAC-RCI Holds Annual Meeting and Program
By Chicago Area Chapter Treasurer Patrick Reicher
The Chicago Area Chapter of RCI, Inc. (CAC-RCI) hosted its Annual Meeting and Program for the 16th consecutive year on Wednesday, January 16, 2019. The meeting was held at Hamburger University in Oak Brook, IL. Approximately 110 consultants, architects, engineers, contractors, facility managers, and manufacturers participated in the one-day program that featured four technical presentations (six CEHs) and ample networking opportunities.
Technical sessions included: “Restoration of the World’s Largest Commercial Marble-Clad Building – Detroit’s Fisher Building” by Ziad Salameh of ZS LLC; “Concrete Deck Moisture Issues: Causes and Preventative Measures” by Pete Baker of Sika Sarnafil; “Roofing and Exterior Wall Requirements of the International Building Code” by Rich Walke, Alpesh Patel, and Aldo Jimenez of Underwriters Laboratories; and “Building Enclosure Trends and Outlook: To Infinity and Beyond!″ by Elise Love of WJE and Patrick Reicher of RRJ.
Following the technical sessions, President Jeff Valentine convened a brief CAC-RCI Chapter business meeting before turning over the gavel to the new CAC-RCI President, Charlie Sietmann. The proceedings then adjourned to the CAC Building Envelope Foundation’s Fourth Annual Cocktail Reception. This year’s cocktail reception was co-sponsored by SOPREMA.
As with previous years’ programs, CAC-RCI coordinated efforts with the Chicago Roofing Contractors Association (CRCA), which held its 36th Annual Trade Show at the nearby Drury Lane Conference Center the two days following the CAC-RCI Annual Meeting.
With 2019 now in full swing, CAC-RCI is gearing up for spring programs and events. A committee day will be held on March 8, 2019, for those interested in participating with CAC-RCI in a meaningful way. The Spring Meeting and Program is tentatively scheduled for May 10, 2019; more details to follow soon! A full calendar of chapter events can be found at https://www.cac-rci.org/calendar/.
Ontario Chapter Announces New Board
Another Successful Winter Workshop on the Books for So Cal Chapter
By So Cal Chapter Industry Director Arturo Ortiz Jr.
The So Cal Chapter of RCI, Inc. held its 19th Annual Hawaii Winter Workshop on January 14 and 15, 2019, at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu, HI. Approximately 100 attendees made it out from Canada and the U.S., including a strong contingent of local Hawaiians, and into the beautiful paradise of Waikiki to partake in the two-day seminar. The event featured guest speakers from across North America who provided well-informed and engaging presentations that covered a wide array of building envelope topics centered around the theme of “Innovation in Building Envelope Design and Solutions.”
First and foremost, the chapter would like to thank the following workshop presenters for their technical contributions and for being an integral part of the event:
- Richard Mosco, AIA, Associate Principal / WJE Associates Inc. / Pasadena, CA
- Jeff Neilson, AIA, Senior Associate / WJE Associates Inc. / Pasadena, CA
- Karim Allana, PE, RRC, RWC, Senior Principal / Allana Buick & Bers, Inc. / Palo Alto, CA
- Peterson Lambert, PE, Principal / Allana Buick & Bers, Inc. / Seattle, WA
- Philip D. Dregger, PE, RRC, Vice President / Technical Roof Services – a Salas-O’Brien Company / Concord, CA
- Christopher Giffin, RRC, AIA, Principal / WJE Associates Inc. / Duluth, GA
- James Brown, RRC, AIA, Associate Principal / WJE Associates Inc. / Duluth, GA
- Stéphane P. Hoffman, PE, Principal / Morrison Hershfield / Seattle, WA
- Elena Kessi, President / Aquafin, Inc. / Elkton, MD
- Kenrick Hartman, PE, RBEC, LEED AP, Senior Associate / WJE Associates Inc. / New York, NY
- Douglas Stieve, RA, RRC, GRP, Principal / WJE Associates Inc. / New York, NY
- Gary Weaver, Principal / Atlas Consulting / Irvine, CA
- Amy Chitilian, EIT, Engineering Intern / Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd. / Toronto, ON
- Gene Keeton, CxA+BE, BECxP, QAO, President / KDENT, Inc. / Nixa, MO
The 2019 workshop saw a record number of attendees as well as event sponsorship support, with 15 tabletop exhibitors and one banner sponsor. We built upon last year’s creative initiative in organizing the exhibition tour like a “speed-dating” hour, with small groups rotating between each tabletop at timed intervals. It was a fast-paced session with all hands on deck, allowing every tabletop sponsor to have exposure with each attendee. Thanks to our energetic sponsors, it was a great networking opportunity all around while participants got a chance to enhance their product and material knowledge.
At the conclusion of day one, attendees were treated to a networking reception sponsored by the Platinum event sponsor, Versico. As per our tradition, we held a raffle at the end of the reception where Jim Hill of BASF Senergy Wall Systems, from our very own So Cal Chapter, was the lucky winner of a slick new GoPro Fusion Camera. We hope it comes in handy while catching some big waves, Jim! Gold sponsor CanDo Supply helped to keep our attendees well fed on both days, with our delicious catered lunches held in the pleasant outdoor lounge space just outside the conference.
As always, the event could not have been possible without support from our industry colleagues and the building envelope community. The chapter would like to thank the following:
- Platinum sponsor – Versico Roofing Systems
- Gold sponsor – CanDo Supply LLC
- Bronze sponsors – Hydro-Gard, Malarkey Roofing Products, BASF Senergy Wall Systems, Cell-Crete Corporation, Drexel Metals Inc., Fibertite
- Tabletop exhibitors – GE Silicones, USG, Sika Greenstreak, Georgia-Pacific, Drone Vantage LLC, General Coatings, AVM Industries
- Banner sponsor – Situra Inc.
The chapter would like to thank all the attendees for their participation. We look forward to seeing you all at next year’s workshop, which will be our 20th anniversary event!
March 7, 2019: Metro NY Chapter Winter Meeting and Dinner
March 8, 2019: Chicago Area Chapter Committee Meetings
March 13-19: 2019 RCI International Convention and Trade Show
March 21, 2019: Canadian Prairies Chapter March 2019 Lunch ‘n Learn – An Overview of the Canadian Surety System | Mid-South Chapter Meeting | Portland Chapter Meeting and Educational Presentation
March 25, 2019: North Texas Chapter Lunch & Learn
Late March 2019: Mid Atlantic Chapter Education Event