Regions IV, V, and VI will have region director elections this year. Voting will be online, and will begin on Monday, January 6, 2020 and be open for two weeks. When voting opens, a link will be posted and an email will be sent to members who are eligible to vote. Elected region directors will begin their two-year terms at the conclusion of the Annual Meeting of the Members on Monday, March 30, 2019. Find your candidate(s)’ profiles below.
Candidate for Region IV Director (second term)
Neal Johnson, RRO, AIA
Neal Johnson is the president of Neal Johnson, LLC, an architectural firm specializing in building enclosure consulting and forensic services in Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, and Colorado. With over 41 years of widely varied experience as a practicing architect, Johnson’s background includes serving as an architect, principal in charge, project manager, and building enclosure consultant for more than 1,500 facility projects, encompassing new construction as well as extensive renovation/rehabilitation work.
His areas of expertise includes program management, facility condition assessment, architectural programming, technical specifications, document quality control, code compliance, and project closeout. His continued training and experience in program management, project neutral, integrated project delivery, design build, and construction management at risk provide a distinctive knowledge base for his clients. During his tenure at URS / AECOM’s Baton Rouge office, he was a team leader, principal architect, Certified URS Project Manager, program manager, and a FEMA task order manager.
Bachelor of Science in architecture from University of Louisiana Lafayette – 1978
- Registered Roof Observer (RRO)
- Region IV Regional Director 2017 – 2019
- Chapter Liaison of the Louisiana Branch of the NGCC Chapter (2016 – 2017)
- Professional (Consultant) member since 2001
- Member of RCI Ethics Committee (Chair 2014 – 2017) member (2011 – 2014)
- Attendance at RCI (IIBEC) conventions since 2002
- Attendance at Building Enclosure Symposia (2017 – 2019), Leadership Conference (2016 – 2019), chapter meetings, and other organizational functions since 2000
- Supporter and advisor on procurement reform issues
- Instructor at following courses:
- Professional Roof Consulting, New Orleans, 2019
- Waterproofing, New Orleans, 2019
- Stucco & Exterior Finish Cladding Systems, Pensacola, 2016
- Roof Technology & Science I and II, San Francisco, 2015 and 2017
- Professional Roof Consulting, New Orleans, 2009
Other Professional Affiliations
- Registered Architect in LA, MS, AL, TX, AR, and CO
- Certified Level 1 Thermographer
- Member of:
- American Institute of Architects
- National Council Architectural Registration Board
- National Roof Contractors Association
- American Bar Association
- Wood Industry Council
- Claims Litigation Management
- Board member and active participant in the Baton Rouge Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Professional member of National Roof Contractors Association (NRCA)
- Past president, board liaison, and active member of Baton Rouge Chapter of the International Facilities Management Association (IFMA)
It has been a privilege and an honor being your Region IV Director and representing you as a member of the board of directors. The months since you elected me have flown by, and it has been rewarding to be involved with the many endeavors that IIBEC is striving toward. However, now is not the time to slow down.
Our industry is evolving at an ever-increasing rate and it is incumbent upon us to stay current with the trends while maintaining a level of common sense regarding new technologies.
It is the time to step up, and with your support, that is what I wish to do. We need to continue our push for better communication, not only within our organization, but also within the entire industry. With our new branding and building enclosure commissioning project moving forward fast, I would be proud and grateful to represent you for the 2020 – 2022 term.
I am asking for your continued confidence as I strive to fulfill my duties as Region IV director, and I ask for your vote.
My wife Melanie and I have been married for 32 years. We have two daughters, Megan and Rachel. When not working, I enjoy salt- and fresh-water fishing and playing at golf.
Candidate for Region V Director (second term)
Szymon Zienkewicz, RRC, RRO, PE, LEED AP
Szymon Zienkiewicz has diverse project expertise and a technical background to understand and solve building enclosure challenges related to air, water, vapor and thermal control in the design, renovation, and investigation of buildings. His area of practice focuses on CSI Division 7 –Thermal and Moisture Protection, 8 – Doors and Windows, and 9 – Finishes, with emphasis on air/water barriers, building science, coatings, expansion joints, exterior wall claddings, fenestration systems, insulation, interior waterproofing, and roofing.
In 2015, Szymon co-founded Larsen Zienkiewicz Inc., an engineering consulting firm providing building enclosure investigation, design, and construction administration services for new and existing buildings based in Pasadena, CA.
- B.A.Sc. in honors, civil engineering, co-operative program, management sciences option, certificate in structural engineering – 2007, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada
- IIBEC programs, conventions, symposia, and plant tours (since 2007)
- IIBEC Affiliated Chapter/Region Leadership Development Training Workshop, Raleigh-Durham, NC (2011); Presenter 2016–2018.
For over a decade, Zienkiewicz has been actively involved with IIBEC at the national and local levels as an organizer, presenter, and leader.
- IIBEC Region V Director (2018–present)
- IIBEC member since 2007
- IIBEC – Strategic Planning Session contributor (November 2017)
- IIBEC Emerging Professionals Committee (2013–2018)
- IIBEC Chapter Development Committee (2016–2018)
- So Cal Chapter of IIBEC, president (2013, 2017)
- So Cal Chapter Hawaii Winter Workshop Committee chair (2013–2017)
Professional License and Registration
- Registered Professional Engineer in CA, AZ, and NV
- Registered Roof Consultant (RRC), no. 808
- Registered Roof Observer (RRO), no. 933
- LEED Accredited Professional
Professional Affiliations/Work History
- Co-founder and vice president, Larsen Zienkiewicz, Pasadena, CA – 2015 to present
- Consultant, Simpson Gumpertz & Heger, Los Angeles, CA – 2007 to 2015
- IIBEC Emerging Professional Award of Excellence (March 2016)
- IIBEC Outstanding Chapter Award – So Cal Chapter (2016, 2017)
Achieving IIBEC’s vision to be the leading authority for roofing, waterproofing, and exterior wall expertise is largely influenced by the health of its chapters and the success of its members at a grassroots level. I believe that the role of the region director is to be an effective conduit between IIBEC and members to support IIBEC’s brand and goals, but equally to ensure that the voices of our region’s members are heard and are adequately represented.
If reelected, I will continue to:
- Build a closer relationship among members in our region through increased communication on IIBEC activities through electronic and in-person updates.
- Facilitate greater interaction and comradery among our five regional affiliated chapters and one branch
- Strengthen the relationship between our region and IIBEC headquarters.
- Provide greater support to our chapters and our diverse and expansive membership.
Over the past decade, IIBEC has been instrumental in my professional development as a consultant and personal growth through participation in my local chapter, volunteering on IIBEC committees, attending IIBEC events, and achieving IIBEC credentials. I have met amazing individuals in our membership with a shared passion for this industry and have built lasting relationships. I am hopeful and motivated to do the same for others by continuing to proudly represent you.
Thank you for considering me for this position, and the opportunity to serve our region. I hope for your support and vote.
Szymon lives in Pasadena, CA, with his wife Asha. They enjoy being new parents to their daughter Zora, born on 7/5/2018, who is eager to explore the world around her and loves the outdoors.
Candidate for Region VI Director
Burt Carver, RRC, RRO
Burt Carver is the president of Apex Building Sciences Inc., a consulting firm specialized in building enclosure issues in Western Canada. He has been involved in roofing and waterproofing since the mid 1990s and started consulting full time in 1999. He has acted as a field reviewer, field technician, and project manager for several hundred projects. His areas of expertise include building condition assessment, technical specifications, document review, code compliance, the building enclosure, and project closeout.
Ongoing education updates through IIBEC and locally developed content.
- Registered Roof Consultant (RRC)
- Registered Roof Observer (RRO)
- Instructed Rooftop Quality Assurance
- Instructed Roof Technology and Science I and II
- Advocacy Committee (current)
- Chapter Development Committee (current)
- RRO Exam Development Task Force (current)
- RRC Exam Development Task Force (current)
- Past president of Western Canada Chapter
- Attended multiple IIBEC conventions
- Recipient of the RCI “Volunteer of the Year” Award in 2018.
Professional Affiliations/Work History
- ACI Concrete Technician Level I
- ACI Concrete Technician Level II
- Past board member – Canadian Condominium Institute
- PAQ+S Certified
- HCBC Nominating Committee
- I will work to represent the local issues that uniquely impact our region and advocate for resources on the chapters’ behalf.
- With the ongoing changes in the organization, I will work to building a stronger relationship and communication between the chapters and IIBEC.
- I have been involved with IIBEC—both locally and nationally—for the past decade plus. I intend to support and assist the chapters in the region and to act as a conduit between the chapters and the executive.
I have four beautiful children with my lovely wife, Tracy. We have been married for 20 years. We live on acreage in the Fraser Valley, where we keep some horses. My passions are technology and tinkering.