Check the source! Find chapter news on RCI Affiliated Chapter websites.
Great Lakes Chapter Talks Legal Issues at Winter Technical Session
by Sue Baumberger, Industry Director, Great Lakes Chapter
On February 9, 2017, the Great Lakes Chapter held its Winter Technical Session at the VisTaTech Center of Schoolcraft College. The theme was “Legal Issues Common to Construction and Roofing.” Almost 70 attendees obtained 4 CEHs each for attendance. The morning started off with Ron Kinne of RTA and Paul Majkowski of PSI presenting “Issues and Problems with Designing Roofs and Meeting Owner Expectations.” Fred Butters, PLLC, and Thomas Keranan from Clark Hill then presented their experience and opinions on typical legal disputes. Thanks to Jackie Walters of LaDuke Roofing and Jim Markiewicz with GAF for joining Fred and Thomas for a Q and A period at the end of the afternoon.
Upcoming chapter events are shown below. Mark your calendars now!
4/20: Spring Technical Session
5/22: Chapter Putting Contest sponsorship at the SMRCA golf outing
9/11: Chapter Benefit Golf Outing
Mid Atlantic Chapter Will Host Educational Seminar
by Matt Schofield, Chapter Secretary, RCI MAC
The Mid Atlantic Chapter (MAC) is scheduled to hold its first educational seminar of 2017 on March 30 at Best Western Battlefield Inn in Manassas, VA. A total of four presentations are scheduled to be given worth a total of six RCI Continuing Education Hours. Presentations are scheduled to include:
- Building Enclosure Design for Water Vapor Diffusion Control in the U.S. Mid‐Atlantic Regions
– Presented by Anthony J. Nicastro, P.E. – Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.
- Seven Ways to Recover an Existing Sloped Roof Using a Structural Standing-Seam Metal Roof System
– Presented by Charlie Smith – Architectural Building Components, Inc.
- Wall Systems and Design
– Presented by Rick Brehm – Soprema USA
- George Washington’s Other Resting Place: Restoring the Washington Equestrian Monument
– Presented by Matthew Farmer, PE and Rebecca Wong – Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
The RCI MAC is also working on finalizing details for its second educational seminar of 2017, which is tentatively scheduled for May.
For more information about this event and future events or other chapter information, visit the Mid Atlantic Chapter website at www.rcimidatlantic.org, or contact Matt Schofield at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Steven Bohlen at email@example.com.
So Cal Chapter Holds Successful Annual Winter Workshop in Hawaii
by Ivak Chak, Hawaii Workshop Committee, Treasurer, So Cal Chapter of RCI
The So Cal Chapter of RCI held its 17th Annual Hawaii Winter Workshop on January 23 and 24 in the lavish Kahala Hotel & Resort, located in beautiful Honolulu, HI. The ocean views provided an enjoyable backdrop for the technical presentations and tabletop exhibition, with approximately 90 attendees who flew in from all over North America, including a strong Canadian presence. The two-day program hosted a diverse group of speakers who discussed a wide range of topics pertaining to roofing, waterproofing and exterior walls.
The chapter would like to thank the following workshop presenters for their kind participation:
• Joseph J. Schwetz, vice president of Technical Services, Sika Sarnafil / Canton, MA
• John Goveia, principal / Pacific Building Consultants / Concord, CA
• Dennis C. Spina, AIA, RRC, REWC, principal / Bell & Spina, Architects-Planners, PC / Syracuse, NY
• Philip D. Dregger, PE, RRC, FRCI, principal / Pacific Building Consultants / Concord, CA
• Joseph Joslin, business development leader, West / Owens Corning / San Francisco Bay Area, CA
• Douglas R. Stieve, AIA, RRC, principal / Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. / New York, NY
• Scott Anderson, technical manager of business development / De Neef / GCP Applied Technologies / Cambridge, MA
• Harold Louwerse, RRO, building science consultant / Morrison Hershfield / Burnaby, BC
• Gene Keeton, president / KDENT, Inc. / Monett, MO
• Colin Shane, PE, MEng, PEng, principal / RDH Building Science, Inc. / Oakland, CA
• Wei Lam, PE, associate principal / Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. / Boston, MA
A full program agenda of presentation topics is available on the So Cal Chapter of RCI website (https://socalrci.org/uploads/Agenda_MASTER_2016.10.27.pdf).
Event sponsorship was strong this year, with 16 participating tabletop exhibitors and one banner sponsor. Daily luncheons were graciously supported by LJP Construction Services and Johns Manville, the gold-level sponsors for the workshop. The first day of the seminar was rounded out with an outdoor, sunset-viewing networking reception held on the hotel’s beachfront, which was sponsored by Versico, the platinum sponsor.
Several sponsors made the event possible and, in particular, the chapter would like to thank the following:
• Platinum Sponsor – Versico Roofing Systems
• Gold Sponsor – LJP Construction Services, Johns Manville
• Bronze Sponsors – Polyglass USA, Sika Greenstreak, Momentive Performance Materials, Georgia-Pacific Gypsum, Sika Sarnafil
• Exhibitors – Chem-Link, Fibertite Roofing Systems, Architectural Resources Assoc. LLC, Duro-Last Roofing, BASF, Malarkey Roofing Products, General Coatings, American Hydrotech
• Banner Sponsor – Soprema
Wisconsin Chapter Holds Educational Event
by David Balistreri
The Wisconsin Chapter of RCI, Inc. held its spring educational event on March 7. Topics included expansion joints (JM), sealants (Tremco), fire testing of wall assemblies (Carlisle) and gypsum coverboards (GP).
Approximately 34 were in attendance.
The chapter is planning a summer social for late July, which will include a two-credit presentation followed by a sporting clay event.